Gloria Richmond (08) 9273 6732 Gloria.Richmond@scsa.wa.edu.au
In August 2019, the Board of the School Curriculum and Standards Authority amended the principles for setting the dates of the Year 12 ATAR course written examinations.
- Written examinations will commence on Monday of the week in which November 1 falls on a weekday; and Monday of the following week, when November 1 falls on a weekend.
- The written examination period will be for a period of approximately 15 weekdays.
- Large candidature examinations will be scheduled, where possible, in the first 10 days of the examination period.
- No practical examinations will be scheduled on the weekend immediately prior to the commencement of the written examinations.
It should be noted that the scheduled date range of Year 12 ATAR course written and practical examinations from year to year will not always fall in the same cycle of weeks of school terms.
2023 Year 12 ATAR course examinations
The 2023 Year 12 ATAR course written and practical examinations timetables are provided below.
From Tuesday, 5 September 2023, students will be able to download their Personalised written examinations timetable and Personalised practical examinations timetable from the student portal at: https://studentportal.scsa.wa.edu.au.
The Personalised written examinations timetable will contain the date, time and examination centre for the student’s written examinations. The Personalised practical examinations timetable will contain the date, time, venue and location of the student’s practical examination.
2024 Year 12 ATAR course examinations
The 2024 Year 12 ATAR course written examinations are scheduled from:
Monday, 28 October to Friday, 15 November 2024.
The 2024 Year 12 ATAR course practical examinations are scheduled from:
Saturday, 21 September to Sunday, 20 October 2024. See the schedule below.
2024 Year 12 ATAR course practical examinations schedule
- Saturday, 21 September to Sunday, 29 September (Saturday, Sunday and the public holiday included) Aviation, Dance, Drama and Music.
- Saturday, 12 October to Sunday, 20 October (Saturday and Sunday included) Chinese: Second Language, French: Background Language, French: Second Language, German: Background Language, German: Second Language, Indonesian: Second Language, Hindi: Background Language, Hindi: Second Language, Italian: Background Language, Italian: Second Language, Japanese: Second Language, Korean: Background Language and Korean: Second Language.
Schools will not be able to specify particular day/s for the practical examinations to be held for any student. Students from a school must be randomly allocated to examination times throughout all of the days allotted for a course. This process ensures anonymity for all candidates.
Schools are advised to plan activities, such as school examinations, final-day assembly, graduation, valedictory dinners and leavers’ breakfast on dates other than those listed above.
Schools are requested to communicate the written and practical examination dates to students, teachers and parents. No allowance in the timetable can be made for holidays, work or personal arrangements.
The date ranges for the future Year 12 ATAR course written examinations schedules are below. Note that the proposed end date may alter given the policy states, ‘The written examination period will be for a period of approximately 15 weekdays.’
2025 Monday, 3 November–Friday, 21 November
2026 Monday, 2 November–Friday, 20 November
2027 Monday, 1 November–Friday, 19 November